Saturday, December 24, 2011

My Romans 7 Life

....If you don't know Romans 7, this won't really make any sense at all...


What then shall I say? That the list of "allergy" food is intrinsically bad? By no means! Yet if it had not been for the list, I would not have known what was causing me to feel so bad.  For I would not have known what it was that was keeping me so swollen if the list had not said, “You shall not eat dairy (et al).”  But those foods, seizing an opportunity through the list, produced in me all kinds of cravings. For apart from the list, food is just food.  I was once as healthy as I could be apart from the list, but when the list came, cravings came alive and I realized how sick those foods were making me.  The very list that promised a healthy life proved to be death to me.  For those foods, seizing an opportunity through the list, enticed me and through it are killing me.  So food is good, and the list is helpful to me.

Did that which is good, then, bring death to me? By no means! It was those certain foods, producing sickness in me through what is good, in order that those foods might be shown to be bad foods, and through the list might become unhealthy beyond measure.  For we know that food is healthy, but I have raging antibodies, because my immune system has gone haywire.  For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not eat what I know is healthy, but I eat the very thing I know will make me sick.  Now if I eat what I know will make me sick, I agree with the list, that it is correct.  So now it is no longer I who eat those foods, but the cravings that dwell within me.   For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh.  For I have the desire to eat what is healthy, but not the ability to carry it out.  For I do not eat the good food I want, but the unhealthy food I do not want is what I keep on eating.  Now if I eat what I do not want, it is no longer I who eat it, but cravings that dwell within me.

So I find it to be true that when I want to eat right, cravings lie close at hand.  For I delight in the list of allergy foods, in my inner being, but I see in my body another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of cravings that dwells in my stomach.  Wretched woman that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?  Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself believe the list with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of cravings.

No comments:

Post a Comment